For information on the Liturgical Hangings
St. Andrew’s-Wesley Church located at the corner of Burrard and Nelson in Vancouver’s scenic West End was designed by Twizel and Twizel and built of Nelson Island granite and Haddington Island stone.
A designated heritage building, the Church sports a mock 14th-century-style Gothic tower, a high vaulted nave, deep transepts, and abundant light. Both the traditional leaded glass and the more recent dalle de verre are represented in its magnificent stained glass windows.
St. Andrew’s-Wesley Church is a congregation of the United Church of Canada, a denomination formed in 1925 by the Union of Presbyterian, Methodist, Congregational and Local Union Churches. As the name implies, it is the successor of two congregations, Saint Andrew’s Presbyterian and Wesley Methodist. The spirit of these two congregations still thrives at the corner of Burrard and Nelson today.
Construction of the church began in 1927 and was completed in 1933. In a sense, it has always been a work in progress and there is the desire (if not the money at present) to repair and restore the church as it gracefully ages.
“Beautiful and commodious”
“a place of hospitality for the human spirit”
“dignity without ostentation, greatness combined with simplicity”
These are just some of the ways this beautiful heritage Church has been described.